Sunday, February 28, 2010

What is a good regimen for african american natural hair care to grow hair and have healthy hair.. Incld oils.?

Incld daily hair care and night care and washing and drying .. etc.. everything.. type of combs brushes.. scarves.. night caps.. shampoo conditions.. everything .What is a good regimen for african american natural hair care to grow hair and have healthy hair.. Incld oils.?
hair care: I do not relax my hair because it result in damage. I flat iron at most twice a month with a sedu revolution and redken heatglide heat protectant. I take biotin and msm sulfur to help with growth.





night care: I wear a satin bonnet to sleep at night and use a silk/satin pillowcase. I usually put my hair in big braids at night so its wavy and detangled in the morning.





washing: I wash my hair with non sulfate shampoo's or i cowash my hair. I also precleanse with diluted apple cider vinegar. to prevent breakage or tangles i was my hair in twists. heres a good video tutorial on washing and conditioning.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrsBfmxh6鈥?/a>


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Du_5CFYk鈥?/a>





drying: I pat my hair dry with a tshirt. I airdry my hair. Rubbing your hair with a regular towel can cause breakage.





combs: I usually finger comb my hair first before proceeding with a wide tooth comb. i only detangle when my hair has conditioner(I use garnier fructis triple nutrition) in it. I start from the ends and work my way up.





brushes: I dont brush my hair because can cause uneeded tension or breakage





shampoo: I recommend a sulfate free shampoo unless you use products with silicones. Here are some sulfate free shampoo companies:


Burt's Bees


Carol's Daughter


Aubrey Organics: http://www.aubreyorganics.com/


Blended Beauty: http://www.blendedbeauty.com


Kinky Curly: http://www.kinkycurly.com


Trader Joe's Refresh Shampoo


Avalon Organics: http://www.avalonorganics.com/


Oyin Handmade: http://www.oyinhandmade.com


Qhemet Biologics: http://www.qhemetbiologics.com





condition: for cowashing i use a cheap silicone free conditioner such as v05 kiwi and lime or suave naturals(only the naturals are silicone free).For deepconditioning i use giovanni smooth as silk conditioner(sold at most drugstores but you can get a big bottle at marshalls or tj maxx for value). everything .





Moisture is really important. I usually spritz my hair with water mixed a little olive oil. Then I seal in the moisture with whipped shea butter, coconut oil or oyin whipped pudding.





Eating healthy, drinking lots of water, exercising and wearing protective styles such as buns, braids, or twists are a great to retain length and promote healthy hair.What is a good regimen for african american natural hair care to grow hair and have healthy hair.. Incld oils.?
Everyone's hair is different, so you really have to start experimenting with different products; everyone has to do that at some point. Someone might have the same size coils or curls as you but might have a completely different hair texture, and that'll affect the type of products you use. My hair has different sized coils, but I have some soft coils an wiry coils and they don't always respond to the same products, or the same amount of product. Your coil size and texture also effects how you handle your hair as far as detangling. My soft coils are easier to detangle and comb through and doesn't knott, and doesn't easily tangle. My wiry coils easily tangle and knot. So, texture really plays a difference in how you handle your hair and what products you use.





I use the Denman D3 to detangle and it also defines my curls and reduces my detangling time. I can get all the small and large curls with that one brush. It does create a lot of shrinkage, though. I use Wen hair care and this helps keep my hair healthy and it retains moisture because of it. It also makes my hair super soft, defines my coils and significantly reduces frizz. I also use some Carol's Daughter products for moisture, deep conditioning, and I have a shampoo that I use when I'm not using Wen. I use shae butter, too, for moisture. I use coconut oil and sometimes olive oil to seal, and I use olive oil for hot oil treatments and that has made my hair stronger. I use Nexxus Emergency for my protein treatment.





This is just what I use for my hair, and what my hair responds to. You have to listen to what your hair needs. If anything, I suggest you use sulfate-free shampoos because they won't dry out your as much as regular shampoos.





[EDIT] Oh, my advice for growing your hair is to leave it alone. Don't comb, brush, or style it too much or you can break it. I cut my hair to less than 1/2 inch and a year and 2 months later my hair was shoulder-length and that's because I literally did not have any breakage my first year. Even now, I have very little breakage because I'm very gentle with my hair when I do detangle it and my hairstyles are simple and don't require any combing or brushing (I just wear it loose in a headband, but it's still short enough that it doesn't tangle). I do add oil at night to keep it from completely drying out and then I rinse it in the morning. But, if you want longer hair then you can't manipulate your hair too much or you'll have breakage. Just make sure you keep your hair clean, conditioned, and moisturized, and give it the protein it needs to stay strong. Good luck.





[EDIT] Another thing is to stop flat ironing, or reduce it to a bear minimum. Heat can severely damage your hair. I've seen girls who have to cut several inches of hair to get rid of the damage, and other experience severe breakage. I don't use heat in any form and just wear it short and curly/coily.
If you really think about it your hair really grows its just that we african american people have hair that is more prone to popping when we comb it and breaking. So the real question is what products make your hair soft and smooth so when we do comb and style it wont pop. I use a lot of olive oil products to keep my hair from falling out and at all times you should make sure that your hair is moisturized, because once your hair is dry then your hair will break and become shorter. If you do want to stimulate growth i suggest you go to a health store and buy some biotin pills because biotin is the vitamin that makes up the hair, and vitamin e pills as well.
Check out my hair regimen and products I use...they are working for me. I've just started using castor oil to keep my scalp clean, check it out:





http://useit-rateit.blogspot.com/
try hair oil; it really works! put it on at nite before bed and wake up and shampoo it off. usually coconut hair oil works the best but try others to suit ur hair

No comments:

Post a Comment